Learn more about what you bring into your home…
To find out what’s under your sink, go to the Library of Medicine Household Products Database. You can search almost any brand of cleaner you use, find out what’s in it, and uncover its links to health effects. Or search by chemical ingredients and discover what brands contain it. The information may shock you.
More than 9 out of every 10 suspected poison exposures occur at home with household products.
8 INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS
- Phosphates, found in dishwasher and laundry detergents, cause algae bloom, which kills fish and aquatic plants, and produces chemicals that are toxic to animals and people who drink the water.
- Trisodium nitrilotriacetate is a possible carcinogen in laundry detergents. It can disrupt the elimination of metals in wastewater treatment facilities.
- Chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite), available alone and in detergents and other products, is toxic to fish and can bind with organic compounds in water to form organochlorines, which break down slowly in the environment and accumulate in the fatty tissues of wildlife. Chlorine is especially toxic to organisms that live in water and soil.
- Napthas and mineral spirits, found in furniture polishes, are neurotoxins and considered hazardous waste. Mineral spirits break down very slowly and contaminate air and water.
- Formaldehyde, an ingredient in furniture polish and various
cleaning products, is a potential human carcinogen and a known cancer-causing agent in animals.
- Phthalates, found in furniture polish, disrupt hormone function and can cause genetic defects in both animals and humans.
- Ether-type solvents, methylene chloride, butyl cellosive, and petroleum distillates, found in oven cleaners are hazardous waste and can contaminate the air, water, and soil.
- Sulfuric acid and sodium hydroxide, in drain cleaners, can change the pH of water and cause fish kill.
Take an interactive online quiz to see ,What’s Under Your Sink?
If you are looking to trade out your toxic cleaners for healthy ones, visit my website or email me!
Independent Shaklee Distributors believe that the small act of scouring the sink can be part of the giant act of changing the world.
Get Clean offers you nontoxic and natural cleaning choices that are SAFE, POWERFUL, GREEN and SMART. Because when it comes to keeping your house clean and the earth safe, you shouldn’t have to choose. When you use Get Clean, you’re never simply cleaning. While you make your home cleaner, you can make your family healthier. You also make the planet healthier for other families as well.